I Was 25 When I Got Pregnant: It Was The Best Thing That Had Happened To Me Until That Fateful Day

Komal  Parekh Komal Parekh in Your Story on 27 February, 2017

Dec 29th, 2015 14:00 Hrs — I was trying to conceal it in my pocket, hiding it from everyone around me; I sneaked it in my powder room without anyone noticing the tiny little thing in my pocket. Anxiety bordering on nervousness was making my brows sweat. I didn’t want my family to know that I was taking it. I took out the packet and started reading the instructions that came along with it and I come across a line that read "For best results sample only early morning”; as tempted as I was to take it at that very moment I decided to wait till the next day.

The frustration of not taking it when I really wanted to made me rage. My sense of smell had peaked and an obnoxious odour of Colin drove me mad. My hormones were raging and I almost yelled at my maid and asked her to come clean if she spilled the bottle of Colin anywhere around. Her reply was: "Nahi didi ye Colin se toh roz aapka mirror saaf karti hoon." 

I’m generally very calm and this rage made me realize this as the very first symptom. I was surprised as my sense of smell had become so strong and I realized that I had to take it now and put an end to my anxiety. So very eagerly I ripped apart the packet I was carrying in my pocket and let myself go for it.

After taking it, I waited anxiously. My heart started fluttering, it felt like my heart was going to come out of my mouth. I tried to calm myself down, took a deep breath and waited for a couple of minutes for it to show signs. I took it in my hand and there I saw two pink lines. That was pure ecstasy — I was pregnant.

One dark and the other slightly faint pink line but I knew that it was a definite positive. I was really happy and excited. I had made elaborate plans to surprise my husband with my baby news. I had been planning on how to break this news to everyone but only after a few months but like a fool I couldn't control it and started screaming at the top of my voice.

My hubby immediately barged inside to check if everything was okay and he found me jumping with the UPT in my hand. He noticed the joy on my face and guessed it. 

We happily hugged each other and we rushed to our OB-GYN to confirm it. I was five weeks pregnant and after the seventh week, the doctor could make us hear the heartbeats of our baby. We were on cloud nine and on reaching home informed our parents and my siblings. It was the happiest day of our lives. It was even more special to me as two days later, Dec 31st happened to be my birthday. So, my 25th birthday became extra special with my little bundle of joy growing inside of me. 

That pregnancy test was the best thing that had happened to my husband and I but the news was indeed too good to be true. Here's what happened next.